Pre-Pharmacy Courses and Requirements
Pre-Pharmacy Student Handbook
The Pre-Pharmacy Student Handbook is issued (in paper form) to all new Pre-Pharm students and covers a variety of information related to degree requirements, academic success, and life at OSU.
What Goes into Your Degree?
The Pre-Pharmacy program allows students to work toward a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in General Science with a Pre-Pharmacy option. The degree is composed of three things: Baccalaureate Core requirements, major requirements, and elective credit. In order to complete the B.S. in General Science, students must earn a minimum of 180 total credits as illustrated below.
Of the 180 total credits earned for the B.S. degree, a minimum of 60 upper-division credits are required (36 upper-division science, and 24 upper-division elective credits).
Baccalaureate Core Requirements: Some of the Baccalaureate Core requirements are automatically fulfilled by classes required for the Pre-Pharmacy option. These are:
- Physical Science (fulfilled by CH 221)
- Biological Science (fulfilled by BI 211)
- Additional Physical or Biological Science (fulfilled by CH 222 or BI 212)
- Writing I (fulfilled by WR 121)
- Writing II (fulfilled by WR II course)
- Speech (fulfilled by COMM 114 or 218)
- Social Processes & Institutions
(fulfilled by PSY 201, ECON 201, ECON 202, or AREc 250)
Categories remaining to be completed are:
- Fitness (lecture & activity lab)
- Western Culture*
- Literature Arts*
- Cultural Diversity*
- Difference, Power, Discrimination*
- Global Issues**
- Science, Technology, Society**
- Writing Intensive Course
* No more than two courses from the same department can be used in these four categories.
**Courses for Global Issues and Science, Technology, Society must come from seperate departments.
Pre-Pharmacy Major Requirements
Required Pre-Pharmacy courses for the Pharm.D. Program can be viewed HERE.